Made with plant-based ingredients, these Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars are easy to make and topped with frosting and colorful sprinkles for a fun dessert perfect for every occasion!
Disclaimer: This recipe was adapted from Daily Vegan Meal’s Vegan Sugar Cookie Party Bar!
If you guys have been around for a while (or pretty much any time at all), you’ve probably already figured out that cookies are a serious love language for me. I mean, I’m always trying, tasting, and testing cookies in one form or another. From PB Stuffed Snickerdoodle Cookies, to White Chocolate Pistachio Cookies, 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies, and so much more, I’ve tried them all, and each recipe holds a special place in my heart. However, if I’m being honest, I have the deepest love for sugar cookies. Made with delicious ingredients like butter and sugar, there’s something about them that’s just so comforting. They always take me back to my childhood.
However, now that I’m an adult (or so I’ve been told), I do my best to consume foods that are a little more nutritionally dense than cookies. So, in order to satisfy my need for sugar cookies, I decided to get a little creative and came up with these Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars! Luckily, they couldn’t have turned out any better if I tried. Not only are they slightly easier than rolling out vegan sugar cookies, but they’re also way less time consuming and contain a fair amount of protein and fiber to help prevent a sugar crash.
Basically, what I’m saying is you need this sugar cookie bars recipe in your life. Whether you’re making them for holiday parties, birthdays, or just an afternoon treat, they always hit the spot!
Ingredients for Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars
Okay, you guys, although similar, this recipe is not your average sugar cookie bars recipe! Of course, I used a few common pantry staples and included all the good things. However, I also made an effort to include allergy-friendly ingredients to fit all your dietary need. Of course, I also added protein to make everything that much better. Take a look below to see what you’ll need!
- Butter – I used a vegan butter alternative, but regular butter can be used in its place.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar works best for these vegan sugar cookies, but you could also use a sugar substitute such as Stevia or Monk fruit if you prefer. Just keep in mind that the sweetness of your bars may be impacted.
- Milk – To keep this recipe vegan, I opted for a plant-based milk option.
- Almond Extract – Similar to vanilla, almond extract adds a beautiful depth to these bars.
- Protein – No surprise here that I used Nuzest protein in the Smooth Vanilla flavor. You can too, and save a few bucks with the code: thekellykathleen! Or, use your favorite vanilla protein powder instead. Just be warned that I cannot guarantee the taste or texture of your bars if you do.
- Flour – To keep things simple, I used all-purpose flour, but it can easily be substituted for a 1:1 gluten-free alternative if you need.
- Baking Essentials – As with most baked goods, you’ll need to gather baking soda and salt to help this recipe rise and bring out the natural flavors of the rest of the ingredients.
- Frosting – Admittedly, I used frosting from the jar. We’re keeping things simple, okay? After all, ain’t nobody got the time to be spending hours in the kitchen! However, if you have the time and want to make your own, more power to you!
- Sprinkles – Don’t forget the sprinkles, either! They add fun colors to these bars for a dessert you’ll be excited to eat.
How to Make the Best Sugar Cookie Bars
Unlike traditional vegan sugar cookie recipes that require you to roll out and cut the dough, this recipe comes together with ease in practically 1 bowl! All you have to do is combine the ingredients and bake.
- Preheat. To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease a baking dish.
- Combine. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Whisk. Then, whisk in the milk and vanilla extract. Once the ingredients are well incorporated, add in the remaining items, and gently fold the dough until they are just-combined.
- Bake. Pour the batter into the greased baking dish, and use wet hands or a spatula to spread it evenly. Then, bake your sugar cookie bars for 23-25 minutes or until the center is just set and the edges are beginning to brown. They will look underdone!
- Cool. Let the bars cool completely before adding the frosting and sprinkles.
Extra Topping Options
I’m a strong advocate for taking the easy way out and buying a pre-made frosting. However, homemade icing always tastes incredible, too. Whichever you choose, these vegan sugar cookies are guaranteed to be delicious. However, if you want to make this recipe your own and even get the kids involved with little to no extra effort, try adding fun topping options such as:
- Chocolate Chips
- Pretzel Pieces
- Candy Pieces
- Shredded Coconut
- Mini Marshmallows
- Crushed Candy Canes
- Chopped Nuts
How to Store Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars
For the best results, I recommend serving these sugar cookie bars immediately. However, if you want to make them ahead of time, I recommend storing the bars and frosting separately. To do so, bake the bars up to 1 day in advance, store them in an airtight container at room temperature, and ice them right before serving.
Or, store the iced bars in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
For a longer-lasting option, place un-iced sugar cookie bars in the fridge for up to 3 months. To thaw, place the bars in the fridge overnight, and ice them just before serving!
Can I Make Vegan Sugar Cookies Instead of Bars?
Sure! To turn these bars into cookies, just follow the recipe instructions. However, instead of adding the dough to a baking pan, roll it out with a rolling pin, and cut the dough into cookie shapes. Then, bake the cookies as usual, making sure to keep an eye on them in the oven as they will likely bake faster than the bars!
More Bar Recipes You’ll Love
I hope you guys love this sugar cookie bars recipe as much as I do! What cookie recipe brings you back to your childhood? Let me know in the comments below, and we can all reminisce together!
Dying to tell everyone you made this recipe and loved it?? Don’t forget to share a picture and tag @thekellykathleen so that I can profess my love to you and re-share it for all to see!
Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars
A plant-based take on your favorite sugar cookies, these Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars are topped with sweet frosting and colorful sprinkles for a fun dessert!
- 1/2 cup softened butter not melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 6 tbsp Smooth Vanilla protein by Nuzest code: thekellykathleen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free equivalent
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Frosting of choice Simple Mills or Birch Benders are my favorite
- Sprinkles of choice
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 9×9 baking dish or line it with parchment paper and set it aside.
Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Whisk in the plant-based milk and vanilla extract.
Once combined, add in the remaining cookie ingredients and stir once more until just combined.
Pour the batter into your greased baking dish and use your (wet) hands or a spatula to flatten evenly.
Bake for 23-25 minutes or until the center is just set and the edges are brown. It will look underdone!
Let the cookie bars cool completely before frosting. I let mine chill overnight in the fridge and frosted them the next day!
**adapted from Daily Vegan Meal’s Vegan Sugar Cookie Party Bar
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Remember peeps- I’m real AF and would only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting me in my realness- you make my LIFE!