Made with rich chocolate and a gooey center, this Vegan Skillet Brownie Sundae is a decadent dessert that will have all your guests begging for more! Serve it warm topped with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream.
What Is A Skillet Brownie?
First things first, if you’ve never made one you’re probably wondering, “What is a skillet brownie, anyway?” And I’m here to tell you it’s exactly as it sounds! Skillet brownies are simple brownies that have been prepared and baked in a skillet instead of a pan kind of like a skillet cookie. In my opinion, they’re even easier to make than traditional brownies and so much more delicious, because the center is easy to keep soft and gooey! I’m drooling just thinking about it.
I took this recipe one step further and turned it into a skillet brownie sundae by topping it with ice cream for an out-of-this-world dessert you definitely deserve to treat yourself to.
Brownie Sundae Ingredients You’ll Need
You’re not going to believe how just a handful of pantry ingredients can create such an indulgent dessert! Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Flax (+ Water) – When combined with water, flaxseeds expand and become thick, working as an incredible replacement for eggs.
- Sugar – We want this brownie extra sweet so granulated sugar is a must! I used coconut sugar, but regular sugar works, too.
- Coffee Granola Butter – I’m obsessed with Oat Haus Granola Butter, but cashew butter (preferably Georgia Grinders using code: kellyk) can be used in its place.
- Plant-Based Milk – I’m partial to cashew or almond milk, but any non-dairy milk is totally fine.
- Oat Flour – To cut down on cost, I love to make my own oat flour by grinding whole oats in a blender or food processor!
- Cocoa Powder – This is crucial to creating the brownie flavor we’re looking for.
- Baking Powder – Don’t forget your baking powder! Trust me, been there done that, and your brownie will turn out flat.
- Salt – Necessary in baking, salt is crucial to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Vegan Chocolate Chips – I love a good dark chocolate chip, but semi-sweet, milk chocolate, and even white chocolate are super tasty, too!
How to Make a Vegan Skillet Brownie Sundae
All you have to do for this brownie sundae is combine the ingredients, toss them in a skillet, and bake. I’ll walk you through the steps below, but be sure to scroll to the recipe card below for the full details!
- Make your flax egg.
- Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit, and spray a skillet with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the sugar and granola butter. Then, add in the milk and flax egg, and whisk again.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the skillet, and bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Cool, and top with ice cream!
Personally, I think a big ole scoop of ice cream is all you need. However, feel free to go crazy with all your favorite toppings! Some of my favorite additions include:
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce
- Nut Butter
- Dairy-Free Whipped Cream
Do I Have to Use a Skillet?
Of course not! The skillet is super convenient but isn’t one hundred percent necessary. If you prefer, you can absolutely use a regular baking pan or even several small ramekins.
Can I Make This Skillet Brownie Sundae Ahead of Time?
You bet! This recipe never lasts longer than a few minutes in my house. However, if you have a little more self-restraint, it’s great to make ahead of time. Just hold off on adding the ice cream until you’re ready to eat. Stored in an airtight container, it will stay fresh
- At room temperature for 3-4 days
- In the fridge for up to 1 week
- In the freezer for up to 3 months
More Brownie Recipes You Need In Your Life
As if you needed a reason to eat more brownies, I’ve got you covered with even more recipes I know you’re going to love.
- Bite-size and loaded with nutrients, Double Chocolate Brownie Cups will cure your sweet tooth with zero guilt.
- This Brownie Batter Protein Dip is high-protein and totally safe to eat!
- I took regular chocolate brownies and made them even richer with this Double Chocolate Brownie recipe!
Quick, convenient, and packed full of flavor, these Peanut Butter Brownie Energy Bites are the perfect on-the-go snack.
Vegan Skillet Brownie Sundae
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar I used coconut
- 1/2 cup coffee oathaus granola butter see swap above
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Start by making your flax egg. Mix together the ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- While your flax egg is thickening, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×5 baking dish with cooking spray. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar with the granola butter. Add the plant-based milk and thickened flax egg and whisk once more.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and fold the batter together.
- Pour the batter into your greased mini skillet. Bake for 22-25 minutes. (25 min for less gooey)
- Let the brownies cool completely before cutting and enjoying!