Sweet chocolate, fluffy marshmallows, and warm pumpkin spice combine to create these Vegan Pumpkin Spice S’mores Cookies! Sweet and satisfying, they’re perfect for the end of summer and the beginning of fall. Treat yourself, and serve them warm with a big glass of non-dairy milk!
Why You’ll Love these Vegan Pumpkin Smores Cookies
Listen, y’all. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a basic b and seriously love fall. In fact, I’m getting giddy just thinking about all the cozy sweaters, hazelnut lattes, and pumpkin recipes. However, as excited as I am, I always feel a little nostalgic as summer comes to an end and my kiddos go back to school. So, in an effort to hang on to the last shreds of summer while also expressing my love for the new season, I created this Vegan pumpkin spice smores cookies recipe! Seriously, it’s the best of both worlds. Obviously, it’s delicious, but it’s also:
- Made with plant-based ingredients
- Baked in the oven in less than 20 minutes
- Great to make ahead of time
- Soft, gooey, and loaded with sweet flavor
Sugar and Spice: Ingredients You’ll Need
Looking at the pictures, you might think this smore cookie recipe requires a million ingredients. Lucky for you, I’m a master of minimalist baking. So, all you’ll need are just a few basics, and you’ll be on your way to creating the pumpkin spice cookies of your dreams. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter – Vegan butter adds a rich flavor, and soft, flaky texture.
- Sugar – Any granulated sugar you have on hand is great. I prefer coconut sugar, but you do you.
- Pumpkin Puree – This creates the classic pumpkin look and taste we all know and love. Just make sure you use plain pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie seasoning! Otherwise, your cookies will be way too sweet.
- Vanilla Extract – Pure vanilla extract helps enhance the flavors of the rest of the ingredients. Trust me, it’s worth the splurge to use the real stuff and not the imitation vanilla.
- Flour – I used organic unbleached all-purpose flour for a neutral dough base. I haven’t tested it, but I believe that a 1:1 gluten-free alternative would work, too.
- Pumpkin Spice Seasoning – This takes the pumpkin spice flavorto the next level for an unbelievable recipe! For easy baking, I use pre-made pumpkin spice, but if you’ve got the time, you could easily make your own with a recipe like this!
- Salt – A little salt goes a long way to boost any baked recipe.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – Of course, I used vegan chocolate chips. Or, for bigger chocolate chunks, I adore the Hu Kitchen Keto baking chocolate chips! Feel free to use code: healthyharmony to try them out for yourself.
- Mini Marshmallows – Make sure you read the ingredient list to ensure your marshmallows are vegan.
How to Make the Best Smores Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Think homemade cookies have to take hours in the kitchen and require complicated steps? Think again! These smores pumpkin spice cookies are pretty much failproof and ready in no time. Take a look at the steps below, and scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for the complete details.
- Preheat your oven, and line a baking sheet.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Then, whisk in the vanilla and pumpkin.
- Next, add in the dry ingredients (except for the chocolate chips and marshmallows), and whisk to combine.
- Gently fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Portion the dough into 6 evenly-sized mounds.
- Bake until the edges start to turn brown. Then, let your smores cookies cool, and dig in!
As if this smore cookie recipe wasn’t easy enough, I’ve rounded up a few tips to make ensure they turn out perfectly. You can thank me later.
Use Cold Temperature Butter. As your cookies bake, the butter will melt into the dough, creating super soft layers.
Measure Carefully. Trust me, you want to make sure you use the exact amount of flour listed. So, I highly recommend using a food scale or the spoon and level method before adding it to your cookie dough.
Corral the Ingredients. Due to the fact that these cookies are literally bursting with flavor, you might have little marshmallow explosions when you pull them out of the oven. Don’t worry! Just gently push the wandering ingredient back onto the cookies. As they cool and solidify, they’ll be baked right back in.
In case you missed it, this recipe only makes 6 cookies. They’re pretty big, but that almost 100% means you won’t have any leftovers. However, if for some unimaginable reason you do, they can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Or, for make-ahead cookies, you can easily freeze the dough! To do so, combine the ingredients, and portion the dough as normal. Then, arrange the mounds on a baking sheet, and place them in the freezer until they harden. Once firm, transfer your pumpkin smores cookies to a sealable bag, and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Drool-Worthy Cookie Recipes
Need more cookies in your life? You already know I have you covered with showstopping recipes!
- Giant, soft, and stuffed full of Oreo cookies in every bite, these Vegan Cookies and Cream Cookies are perfectly chewy and out-of-this-world delicious.
- Solve the debate of whether to have candy or cookies and have both with these Vegan Twix Cookies!
- All the flavors of cake with the handheld convenience of a cookie, these Birthday Cake Cookies are the perfect treat!
- These Vegan Iced Oatmeal Cookies take bland oatmeal cookies to the next level for a satisfying treat thanks to a soft texture and delicious sugary glaze.
Vegan Pumpkin Spice S’mores Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cup organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 – 1 tsp pumpkin spice seasoning *1 tsp for a pumpkin spice party in your mouth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup vegan mini marshmallows cut in half
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixture, cream the butter and sugar together until nicely combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract and pumpkin puree. Whisk until combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie seasoning and salt and whisk just until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet.
- Next, add in the chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. Stir once more.
- Scoop out 6 even sized mounds of dough onto a line parchment paper.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool for at least 10 minutes before enjoying.