Made with just 5 simple ingredients, these Vegan Pumpkin Pastry Twists are an easy finger-food take on delicious pumpkin pie. Perfect for a sweet breakfast or satisfying dessert served alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea!
Why These Pumpkin Pastry Twists Work
Honestly, I’m pretty sure this is obvious. I mean fluffy puff pastry, pumpkin puree, and sweet cinnamon sugar? What could go wrong?! Seriously, sign me up. However, if you’re looking for a little more detail, let me explain. Not only are these pumpkin puff pastry twists unbelievably delicious, but they’re also:
- Baked in less than 20 minutes.
- Made with minimal ingredients.
- Perfect for making in advance.
- Handheld and portable so you can snack on the go!
Basic Ingredients You’ll Need
Literally bursting with pumpkin flavors, these pastry twists look like they’re super difficult to create and require about a million ingredients. Luckily, that isn’t quite the truth! In fact, all you’ll need are 5 ingredients to create this recipe. They include:
- Vegan Puff Pastry – This is a type of flaky, light pastry that can usually be found pretty easily at your local grocery store. Just be sure to read the ingredient list as most varieties are not vegan!
- Pumpkin Puree – Use this to form the filling of your puff pastry twists. Before you being, you’ll want to double-check to make sure you grabbed unsweetened plain pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie spice! The latter is loaded with extra ingredients and sugar we don’t need for this recipe.
- Brown Sugar – Superior to regular white sugar when it comes to most baked goods, brown sugar melts into the dough creating a sweet, almost caramel-like flavor you’re going to love.
- Cinnamon – I love to use this to balance out the sweetness of the sugar and recreate a pumpkin pie taste.
- Salt – Include this as a flavor enhancer for the rest of the ingredients in the dish.
How to Make the Best Pumpkin Puff Pastry Twists
You can easily half this recipe, and honestly, they’re so irresistible you probably should. Unless, of course, you’re preparing them for a festive party. In that case, the more the merrier! Whichever way you choose, the secret to making these puff pastry twists super quick is using pre-made dough. No rolling or kneading required, all you’ll have to do is combine the ingredients nd bake. Follow the steps below!
- Preheat your oven, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt together.
- Roll out your puff pastry dough on an even workspace.
- Spread the pumpkin puree evenly across the dough.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture on top.
- Cut the pastry into roughly 20 strips.
- Twist the end of one strip about 4 times, and place it on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until all of the strips have been twisted.
- Bake until golden brown and fluffy.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
If you want to the ante of the fall flavors and truly unlock your inner basic b, try including a few add-ins with the pumpkin puree such as:
- Chopped Nuts
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- A Bit of Cream Cheese
- A Dash of Nutmeg and Pumpkin Pie Spice
Just when you thought this recipe couldn’t get any simpler to make, I’m coming in hot with the best tips and tricks to make your life even easier!
Pat In the Seasonings. Using the back of your spatula or even your hands, gently press the sugar mixture into the dough to ensure it sticks.
Don’t Be Shy with the Sugar! For extra sweet treats, go ahead and add a dusting of powdered sugar after they’ve finished baking. You can thank me later.
Cool Immediately. Once removed from the oven, your pastry twists will continue to cook on the baking sheet. So, to prevent them from burning, you’ll want to remove them right away and let them cool on a wire rack.
How to Store and Reheat
This recipe is best served right away, preferably while your twists are still warm from the oven. However, if you happen to have leftovers they’re super easy to store!
- Room Temperature: Place your twists in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will stay fresh for up to 2 weeks.
- Freezer: Great to prepare in advance, these twists can be frozen in a sealable bag or airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: When you’re ready to eat, warm leftovers in the air fryer or oven for just a minute or two. Be careful to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn!
Can I Make Pastry Twists with Crescent Rolls?
I haven’t tried it, but the basic recipe should work. Just keep in mind that the taste and texture will be different as crescent rolls are much denser than puff pastry. Also, you’ll likely need to adjust the baking times according to the package instructions for your rolls.
Can I Make These Pastry Twists in the Air Fryer?
Yes! Honestly, they taste just as great and might be even easier to make. Preheat your air fryer to 375° Fahrenheit. Then, working in batches, cook your pastry twists for roughly 8 minutes on each side or until they’re fluffy and crisp.
More Pumpkin Recipes You Need In Your Life
Listen, let’s be real, you can never have too much pumpkin in your life. So, go ahead and treat yourself to even more tasty recipes like:
- A guilt-free dessert, this Single Serve Pumpkin Spice Cookie is high-protein, gluten-free, and so delicious!
- Loaded with pumpkin and maple flavors, this Maple Pumpkin Donuts simply scream fall.
- These Pumpkin Spice Scones are so good you’ll be making them all year long!
- A little sweet, a little spicy, and totally comforting, this Chai Spiced Pumpkin Bread is the ultimate warm baked good.
Vegan Pumpkin Pastry Twists
- 1 whole sheet of vegan puff pastry
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Set it to the side.
- On a workable surface, unfold or unroll your puff pastry until it’s laid out evenly.
- Using a spatula, spread the pumpkin puree even across your puff pastry. You don’t need to worry about leaving a border.
- Sprinkle on the brown sugar mixture until the pumpkin is well covered and pat it down slightly just to ensure it sticks.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut your puff pastry into strips. My puff pastry was 9 x 14 and I got 20 strips.
- Grab the ends of one strip and start twisting the pastry dough three or four times. Lay the twisted strip on your prepared parchment paper and repeat with the remaining strips.
- Bake the puff pasty for 17-19 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powered sugar and enjoy immediately.
- If you have leftovers, place them in an air tight container once completely cooled and reheat them in your oven/air fryer for only a minute or two.