This Vegan Pumpkin Coffee Cake is soft, fluffy, and made with a crumbly streusel topping for the perfect sweet breakfast or afternoon treat. Bursting with warm spices and soft pumpkin flavor, it takes traditional coffee cake recipes to the next level with a hint of fall! Pair it with a warm cup of coffee or your favorite tea.
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Okay you guys, buckle up for story time because I can’t take full credit for the creation of this scrumptious cake. You see, it was inspired by outside influences. You see, when I worked as a barista (True story, I really did!), I was surrounded by tasty treats at all times, because, well, duh. Of course, I love a good brownie or soft cookie, but my favorite treat was always, always the coffee cake.
Then, fast forward a few years, and one of the very first restaurants my husband, Cody, and I ever went to had a coffee cake that was so good we found ourselves driving back for seconds. Seriously, I still dream of that dessert. So, all this to say, my love for coffee cake runs deep. Almost as deep as my love for fall. Therefore, I decided to use the inspiration of those sweet treats all those years ago to combine the two into one truly irresistible pumpkin coffee cake recipe!
It’s soft, fluffy, moist, and absolutely bursting with pumpkin spice flavors you’re guaranteed to love. Plus, it’s completely plant-based and so easy to make! Basically, it’s the only recipe you’ll ever need. Even better, it counts as breakfast, too. So, go ahead, pour a cup of coffee, and treat yourself! You deserve it after all.
Ingredients You’ll Need
As I’m sure you already know, traditional coffee cake is not exactly vegan-friendly. However, with just a few simple swaps, I was able to remove all of the animal products while keeping the same soft texture and sweet flavor we love! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Flour – A combination of gluten-free all-purpose flour and oat flour creates a soft, spongy texture with an extra boost of fiber! You’ll also need oat flour to make the streusel crumble for the top. If you’re not following a gluten-free diet, feel free to use regular all-purpose flour instead.
- Sugar – I love to use coconut sugar for a sweet taste because it tastes just as good as regular sugar but has a lower glycemic index. This means it won’t super spike your blood sugar!
- Baking Powder – Used to make an extra fluffy cake.
- Salt – This is necessary to enhance the rest of the ingredients for a bold flavor.
- Plant-Based Milk – Any milk you have on hand will work just fine.
- Pumpkin Puree – Not only does this contribute to the pumpkin flavor, but it also works to make the cake extra moist.
- Vanilla Extract – Brings out the taste of the rest of the ingredients.
- Pumpkin Spice Seasoning – I prefer to use a store-bought seasoning mix, but you can easily make your own with a recipe like this!
- Vegan Butter – This is melted and used to coat the crumble, helping it crisp up for a little extra crunch.
How to Make the Best Vegan Pumpkin Coffee Cake
One of my favorite things about this recipe is how easy it is to make! Plus, it fills your kitchen up with all the drool-worthy smells of fall. Just follow the steps below, and you’ll be on your way to enjoying your new favorite recipe in no time!
- Prepare: Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line a 9×5 bread pan with parchment paper, and set it aside.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, oat flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the wet ingredients: Next, Add the plant-based milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until they’re just combined, and set the bowl aside.
- Create the crumble: Add all of the crumble ingredients into a bowl, and use a fork to mix them together.
- Assemble: Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan. Then, gently sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake: Place the pan in the oven until a toothpick can be inserted into the center of the cake and comes out clean. Then, let it cool, slice, serve, and enjoy!
This recipe already has a lot going on, but if you want to have a little extra fun, feel free to include extra mix-ins! Some of my favorites include chopped nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, and unsweetened coconut flakes.
How to Store
This recipe is one of my favorites to prepare ahead of time because it keeps so well! Once cooled, cover it with cling wrap or foil, and store it at room temperature for up to 2 days. Or, pop it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Can I Freeze Pumpkin Coffee Cake?
Yes! If you want to make this recipe way in advance, or make two and keep one for later, it freezes with ease. Be sure to wrap it in cling wrap followed by foil. Then, store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I double this recipe?
Sure! To double this coffee cake recipe, follow the same instructions making sure to double the ingredients. Then, pour the batter into a 9×13-inch baking dish, and pop it in the oven. Just keep in mind that the baking time will be longer, typically taking about 5 extra minutes depending on your oven. So, just be sure to keep an eye on your cake as it bakes!
Should pumpkin coffee cake be served hot or cold?
Coffee cake can be served at room temperature and still tastes great. However, it’s even more delicious when served warm. To reheat leftovers, wrap your cake in tin foil, and place it back in the oven at 300° Fahrenheit until the desired temperature has been reached.
Is there actually coffee in coffee cake recipes?
Although some very early versions of coffee cakes did contain coffee in the ingredients list, today, most recipes are coffee-free. Instead, they’re meant to be served at breakfast or as an afternoon snack paired with coffee.
More Sweet Fall Treats
If you enjoy this recipe, you won’t want to miss out on more of these fall-inspired desserts!
- The perfect poppable breakfast, these Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes are dairy-free, gluten-free, and delicious.
- These Pumpkin Spice Scones are the easiest baked good you’ll ever make!
- The best combination, these soft Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies are tasty all year round.
- Made with warm spices like cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and nutmeg, this Chai Spiced Pumpkin Bread is the perfect companion to your money cup (or three) of coffee!
LEAVE A REVIEW AND CONNECT WITH ME
Did you try this recipe or one of my many other recipes? Please consider leaving a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review!
Vegan Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- 1 cup gf all-purpose flour or regular flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice seasoning
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×5 bread pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large sized bowl, whisk together the gluten-free all purpose flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the plant-based milk, applesauce and vanilla extract into the bowl along with the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Set it aside while you make your crumble.
- To make the crumble, add the ingredients into a small bowl. Use a fork to mix the ingredients together.
- Assemble the coffee cake by pouring the batter into your prepared bread pan and sprinkling the crumble mixture over the batter.
- Bake your coffee cake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.