Vegan and gluten-free, these Chocolate Chip Pancakes are light, fluffy, and bursting with flavor in every bite! Serve them smothered with syrup, nut butter, or whipped cream!
Pancakes Are For Every Day!
I don’t know about you all, but breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day! I mean, with recipes like Salted Caramel Overnight Oats, Cinnamon Streusel Muffins, and Spiced Chai Loaf Cake how could anyone not love it? However, I’ve noticed that I tend to save my favorite breakfast recipes for weekends and never indulge on the weekdays. But that’s about to change! After all, life’s too short not to enjoy the foods you love every single day.
The problem is, I don’t always (ever) have the time to stand in the kitchen and actually make breakfast throughout the week. So, I knew I had to come up with an option that could be made ahead of time and taste just as good the next day. Obviously, the solution was to make chocolate chip pancakes! Of course, I wouldn’t make just any chocolate chip pancake recipe though. This version is totally vegan, gluten-free, and loaded with protein! I mean, you’re welcome.
The Best Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Better than anything you’ll make from a box, this whole recipe comes together with just 8 pantry staples. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Plant-Based Yogurt – Yogurt is crucial for the fluffiest vegan pancakes you’ll ever taste! The acidity is used to replace buttermilk, keeping this recipe completely vegan.
- Non-Dairy Milk – Any plant-based milk you like best can be used.
- Protein – I prefer to use vanilla pea protein from Nuzest (code: thekellykathleen). However, if you want to get crazy, you could use a flavored protein!
- Flour – Gluten-free all-purpose flour creates the softest texture because nobody likes chewy pancakes! Therefore, I don’t recommend swapping it out for another gluten-free flour.
- Baking Powder – For the best results, I highly recommend using brand new baking powder (not the one that’s been in your kitchen for, like, a decade…mkay?).
- Maple Syrup – Technically optional, maple syrup elevates the sweet flavor of your chocolate chip pancakes without the need for refined sugar to be added in.
- Salt – It might sound weird, but the addition of salt takes this recipe to the next level by elevating the flavor of the other ingredients!
- Chocolate Chips – To keep these pancakes vegan, I used dairy-free chocolate chips, but anything you like best is totally fine. You do you.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Listen, I’m not trying to insult your intelligence by telling you how to make chocolate chip pancakes. However, following the correct order of steps is important. So, just to refresh your brain, be sure to read the instructions below!
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips.
- Dollop the batter onto the pan, leaving space in between each mound, and top it with chocolate chips.
- After 3-4 minutes, flip!
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat the steps until all of the batter has been used.
Tips and Tricks
I’d like to think I’m somewhat of a pancake-making expert, and I’ve developed a few tricks to make sure they turn out incredible every single time. Lucky for you, I’m graciously sharing them all today!
Get the Skillet HOT. You want your skillet to be sizzling hot. Otherwise, the pancakes won’t cook fast enough and the chocolate chips will melt and burn. I recommend using your fingers to flick just a bit of water onto the pan before you add the batter. If it sizzles, you’re ready to cook!
Spray the Pan. I use non-stick cooking pans. However, if you’re worried about your pancakes sticking to the skillet, be sure to spray it with a high-quality oil spray. Or, just melt a bit of vegan butter first.
Wait for Bubbles. The key to keeping your pancakes intact is to wait for bubbles to form. You’ll want the edges of the batter set and small bubbles beginning to appear in the center. That’s the clear sign you’re ready to flip!
Common Questions About This Chocolate Chip Pancakes Recipe
How do I prevent the chocolate chips from burning?
Due to the fact that we’re adding the chocolate to the pancakes once they’re on the stove, it’s unlikely to burn. The problem occurs when you mix the chips into the batter before cooking!
How do you keep chocolate chips from melting in pancakes?
The best way to prevent your chocolate chips from melting right away is to keep them cold. I like to store mine in the fridge and pull them out right before adding them to the batter.
How long do chocolate chip pancakes last?
Perfect for meal prep, these pancakes will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Or, pop them in the freezer for up to 3 weeks! Whichever storage option you choose, you’ll want to place squares of parchment paper between the pancakes to ensure they don’t stick together!
How do I reheat leftovers?
When you’re ready to eat, warm your pancakes in the oven, on the stovetop, or in the microwave. They should even work in the toaster, but I haven’t tested that yet.
More Perfect Pancakes
- The ultimate comfort food, if “Pizza” Pancakes aren’t already in your life, they definitely should be!
- Sweet and just a little spicy, these Cinnamon Sugar Pancakes are made with minimal ingredients, refined sugar, gluten, and dairy-free!
- Decadent and so simple to make, these Chocolate Tahini Pancakes are totally done and ready to eat in just 20 minutes.
- These 5-Ingredient Pancakes are the easiest breakfast you’ll ever create!
Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1/4 cup plant-based yogurt
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla pea protein
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- handful of chocolate chips
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium low heat. In a medium bowl, whisk together your pancake batter (except the chocolate chips). Once your pan is heated, spoon dollops of the pancake batter onto the pan and top each pancake with a few chocolate chips – the more the better! Flip the pancakes after the batter has set, about 3-4 minutes. Continue to cook the pancakes until done, about 2-3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!