Soft, moist, and gluten-free, this Spiced Chai Loaf Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a sweet and spicy vegan dessert perfect for every occasion. Serve it for breakfast, afternoon treats, desserts, and more!
Have Your Cake, and Eat It, Too
You guys, I have a bone to pick. Not with you, necessarily, just in general. You see, I feel like cake gets a bad reputation for being bland, dry, and boring. However, in my opinion, I don’t think that could be any further from the truth! In fact, I’m convinced that anyone who doesn’t like cake just hasn’t had a good one. I mean, with recipes like PB Molten Lava Cakes, Coffee Cake, Peanut Butter Mug Cake, and so many more, how could you not have at least one cake recipe you enjoy? I’m pretty sure you can’t.
However, to convince you even further, I created this Spiced Chai Loaf Cake! Somewhat of a cross between a bread and a cake recipe, this vegan loaf is soft, slightly spongy, and full of sweet and spicy flavors for a gluten-free recipe you won’t be able to resist. Plus, it’s topped with a homemade frosting and is ready in under an hour! So, if you’re ready to change your opinion (or just enjoy a tasty treat), keep reading to find out everything you’ll need to know to make this loaf cake.
Ingredients for the Best Loaf Cake
As always, I did my best to keep this vegan loaf recipe as simple as possible. However, it’s also gluten-free and dairy-free for a tasty treat everyone can enjoy! Take a look below to see what you’ll need.
For the Spiced Chai Loaf:
- Flour – I used all-purpose gluten-free flour, but regular all-purpose flour works just as well.
- Sugar – You’ll want to use a granulated sugar for this loaf cake recipe. I like coconut sugar best!
- Chai Spices – Feel free to use either a homemade chai blend (see below to make) or opt for a store bought version to save some time.
- Milk – I used soy milk. Any milk alternative will technically work, but soy milk is best for baking!
- Yogurt – You’ll want to use a thick, unsweetened, dairy-free yogurt alternative. My favorite is the Forager yogurt brand, but feel free to use your favorite.
- Coconut Oil – Make sure your coconut oil is melted before trying to make this vegan loaf.
- Molasses – Molasses is crucial to create the sweet flavor but can be substituted for maple syrup if you prefer.
- Pantry Staples – You’ll also need a few baking staples such as baking powder and salt. Definitely don’t forget these or your recipe won’t turn out well!
For the Frosting:
- Sugar – Organic powdered sugar works best for this frosting. Regular cane and granulated sugar won’t mix to form a liquid consistency.
- Cream Cheese – I used a vegan cream cheese, but regular cream cheese works, too. Whichever you use, just make sure you let it come to room temperature!
- Butter – Again, I used a plant-based butter at room temperature, but feel free to use regular dairy butter instead.
How to Make the Best Vegan Loaf Cake
My favorite thing about this recipe is how easy it is to make. Take a look below to see how it’s done!
- Preheat. To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a small loaf tin with parchment paper before setting it aside.
- Combine. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a whisk. Make sure to use the spoon and level method to measure the flour! (See below.) Then, once the dry ingredients have been well-combined, add the wet ingredients to the bowl. Whisk the mixture until the ingredients are just-combined. Don’t overmix!
- Pour. Once combined, pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake. Bake your vegan loaf for 45-47 minutes, and let it cool completely.
- Ice. While the loaf is cooling, use an electric mixer to whisk together the frosting ingredients. Then, top the loaf with as much or as little frosting as you’d like and enjoy!
How to Make Your Own Chai Blend
Of course, you can purchase a pre-made chai blend, but if you have the time, it’s super easy to make by yourself! To do so, add equal parts of ground cardamom, ground nutmeg, ground allspice, and optional ground clove to a small bowl. Next, you’ll want to add double the amount of ground cinnamon and ground ginger. Then, whisk the spices together until they are evenly combined. It’s that easy!
Personally, I used 2 teaspoons each of cardamom, nutmeg, allspice, and clove as well as 4 teaspoons of both ginger and cinnamon. You would think this amount makes a lot, but if you’re anything like me, it makes enough for 2 baked goods and 3 lattes at the most!
Admittedly, clove is a typical spice found in chai blends, but I have made this mix without it, and I honestly can’t tell much of a difference. So, feel free to omit it, if you prefer!
Spoon and Level Method for Flour for the Best Chai Cake
When measuring the flour, it’s tempting to use your measuring cup to scoop out the flour, but HOLD UP! If you do that, you’re not giving the creator of the recipe you’re making a solid chance to woo you. You see, using your measuring cup to scoop the flour actually compacts it. As a result, you’re left with more four in the cup than you realize. Do this a few times, and you could easily be using 2-4 extra tablespoons of flour. In the baking world, that’s a lot!
Instead, use a spoon to scoop the flour out of the bag, and place it in the measuring cup. Then, once the cup looks like it’s full, use the back of a knife to scrape the excess flour off the top of the cup. This method will ensure a more accurate measurement, meaning you’ll have better baked goods!
There are several storage options for this Spiced Chai Loaf Cake. Whichever you choose, make sure you place it in an airtight container!
Room Temperature: 1-2 days
Fridge: up to 7 days
Freezer: 4-6 months
Serve your loaf cake chilled or at room temperature!
More Recipes with Chai You’ll Love
- Baked Vegan Chai Maple Donuts
- Spiced Chai Coffee Cake
- White Chocolate Chai Protein Bites
- Dirty Chai Bliss Balls
If I changed your stance on cake or you just enjoyed this recipe, I’d love it if you let me know in the comments below!
Gingerbread Loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cup unbleached organic all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar cane or brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup thick unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
- 2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese at room temp
- 3 tbsp plant-based butter at room temp
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a small loaf tin (8×4) with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a whisk. Make sure to use the spoon and level method when you’re measuring your flour!
- Once the dry ingredients are whisked together, add in the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf tin and bake in your preheated oven for about 45-47 minutes. If you’re using a larger loaf tin (9×5), check your loaf around 40 minutes.
- Let the loaf cool completely before topping it with the cream cheese frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, use an electric mixer to whisk together the ingredients.