In the health industry self-care is a pretty big buzz word. I want to make something very clear:
There isn’t some magical equation that equals self-care.
You don’t plug in A + B to always get C. If you really wanted to think about self-care in that way, there would be factions, multiplication and even long division involved. (Who the heck likes long division?!) Unless you’re some sort of math genius, you’re bound to make some sort of mistake and get the wrong answer anyway.
Self-care needs to be as individual as the person needing it…. which just so happens to be everyone. Two people can do the same act yet one person can feel completely unsatisfied while the other is in pure bliss.
You need to find what works for YOU! Not only that, you need to figure out what works for you
If you’re lost on how to get started, here are some ideas to give you a little nudge:
1)One of my favorite forms of self-care is reading. A year ago Rachel Hollis released a book and still to this day it’s one of my favorites. It’s called “Girl, Wash Your Face”. I have it linked here but even if you aren’t into reading, following her is another form of self-care. She has good vibrations and gives you the best motivation towards becoming who you were always meant to be!
2)Take a bath with some soothing bath salts… and no, we aren’t talking about THAT kind of bath salts. (If you have no idea what I’m talking about, god bless your youth)
3)If baths aren’t your thing, no worries. Honestly? They kind of make my skin crawl. I take them every once in a while but I much rather take a dang shower instead! My favorite form of self-care is taking a shower with some eucalyptus leaves. Trader Joes sells a bundle for $2.99 but if you’re desperate, Etsy has some really pretty premade bundles!
4)Praying- this one should be obvious. If you are at all religious, talking to the Big Guy can be one of the biggest forms of self-care there is.
5) Calming tea has been my thing lately and it can be one of yours too. It’s free (if you have a stockpile like me!) and making the tea can actually be
6)stretching/foam rolling free and/or would only cost you a one time fee of $ bestinvestiment.99. There are so many health benefits to stretching!
7) Going to the doctor. Does this seem pretty obvious to you? It’s not for most. I practically have to drag Cody to the doctor.
8) Watching your favorite tv show. Friends anyone?
9) Buying a special journal to jot down all the things you’re grateful. You don’t even need to buy a dang journey. Steal a piece of paper from work, be a rebel. Write down anything and everything. You can even write down that you are thankful for your cute pink nail polish- vain but absolutely valid.
10) Meal prepping or remembering to drink enough water. How is this self-care you ask? Well, SO MANY DANG WAYS. Meal prepping ensures that I have ready to eat food in the fridge for when my hanger hits and no food is safe. When I’m hungry, I’m going to reach for the easiest thing so meal prep makes sure I’m reaching for a healthy choice! Drinking water is just as important. That whole 8 glasses a day think is no longer a thing. Drinking 3 liters of water a day is the best thing you can do for your mind!
11)going out to eat with a friend. Who’s love language is quality time? If you have no clue what I’m talking about, please google that ish. If you do know what I’m talking about- quality time is the most common love language! Carving out some time to spend with loved ones always fills up my cup.
12)walking. Simple, cost-free and so dang good for you! Walking has the ability to clear your mind and recharge your spirit.
13)listening to music or podcast- I’ve been all about podcasts lately for my form of self-care tuning out and listening to something that enhances my mind has been SO good for me.
14)asking for help- Hi, I’m stubborn. What’s your name? For a long time, I refused to ask for help. I also failed, a lot. The second I started realizing that asking for help doesn’t make me weak, I grew so strong. Asking for help can be the key to your sanity!
15)being clear on your expectations of others. PLEASE, baby Jesus be clear about what you need from others. My well-being is reliant on other people knowing (not necessarily following through) with what I expect from them. I can’t be frustrated if they don’t know, right?
16)Setting aside.time to give yourself some positive affirmations. I CANNOT emphasize enough how important positive affirmations are. Every single night before I go to bed I tell myself 10-15 positive affirmations. This can literally take 30 seconds but have a lasting effect.
17)Calling someone you love- I’ve been a horrible granddaughter, I call when convenient which happens to be never. Lately, I’ve been giving a valid effort to call my grandma weekly and it has been the most relaxing experience. Calling someone you love only takes a few minutes and it can be the best pick me up.
18)Doing something fun that you haven’t done in awhile. We all get busy right? Maybe you use to paint but you no longer “have the time”. Pick up that paint brush again and get painting. So what if it looks like my 6-year-old’s finger painting?
19)Cook your favorite meal- On the opposite side of meal prepping (foods that make your mind and body feel good), cook a meal that’s good for your soul. If that means a dairy-bomb of deliciousness, as long as it feels right, self-care up some real mac n cheese!
20) Getting a
21) SEX- yup, I went there. Sex is the perfect form of self-care. I’m not going to get into details but I wouldn’t be doing you justice if I didn’t mention you don’t need a partner to be intimate. Pleasing yourself shouldn’t be shamed on and sometimes that’s the only self-care a lady needs.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Remember peeps- I’m real AF and would only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting me in my realness- you make my LIFE!