The best snack, this Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Cereal Bar Recipe is made with just five ingredients and is ready in minutes. You don’t even have to turn on the oven! Make a big batch for packed lunches, after-school snacks, post-dinner desserts, and everything in between!
I don’t know about you guys, but my kids are constantly hungry. No really, like – All. The. Time. In the summer it’s not usually an issue, because they can snack as they please. However, when back-to-school season comes around, shiz kind of hits the fan. Know what I mean? They come home seriously hangry, and that’s not great for anyone’s day. So, to combat their freakily fast metabolisms, I gear up by whipping up all my best on-the-go snacks they can take to school. Typically, this includes options like Cherry Coconut Bliss Bites and 4-Ingredient Strawberry Cashew Protein Bites. However, this year I wanted to add something new to the mix. So, without further ado, let me introduce you to my new Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Cereal Bar Recipe! It might be my best creation yet. It’s:
- Made with just 5 ingredients.
- Ready in minutes with no baking required.
- Vegan and gluten-free.
- Loaded with chocolate and peanut butter which is pretty much the best combination to ever exist.
The Minimal Ingredients You’ll Need
If I’m being honest, I created this recipe with ingredients I already had on hand. After all, who has time to run to the store? So, my hope is that you’ll already have everything you need, too. If not, all the ingredients are super easy to find! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Peanut Butter – Both creamy or crunchy versions work. It just depends on which texture you prefer! However, I do recommend sticking with an all-natural option that is made without the use of any added sugar. Otherwise, your cereal bars might be too sweet. Also, any other nut or seed butter like my fave Georgia Grinders cashew butter (code: kellyk) tastes incredible, too.
- Maple Syrup – My favorite natural sweetener, maple syrup also acts as the glue that holds these bars together. If needed, you can easily swap it out for honey to make this cereal bar recipe vegan!
- Rice Cereal – You definitely don’t have to use name-brand cereal. However, if you follow a gluten-free diet, you’ll want to be sure to double-check the ingredient list, and select an option that is certified gluten-free!
- Vegan Chocolate – Personally, I love dark chocolate with my peanut butter, but milk chocolate, semi-sweet, chocolate, or even white chocolate would work if that’s what you prefer.
- Vegan Butter – This makes the chocolate extra decadent!
One thing I love about this cereal bar recipe is that it’s super easy to customize and make it your own. You can even get the kids in the kitchen, and have a little fun! Try using add-ins and toppings including:
- Chopped Nuts
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Flavored Cereal
How to Make the Best Cereal Bar Recipe
Not quite a no-bake recipe but pretty dang close, this cereal bar recipe comes together in minutes with the help of the microwave. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Heat the peanut butter and maple syrup in the microwave, and whisk to combine.
- Pour in the rice cereal, and stir.
- Press the mixture into a parchment-lined baking dish, and store it in the fridge to cool.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate and butter.
- Then, pour the mixture over the cereal bars, spreading it out in an even layer.
- Pop the bars back in the fridge to finish cooling.
- Once the chocolate has solidified, slice, and enjoy!
How Long Do Cereal Bars Last?
These rice cereal bars can be kept at room temperature but are best stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
However, if you do plan on freezing them, I recommend slicing them into individual portions first. Then, wrap each serving in cling wrap, and place them all in a sealable bag. This prevents them from clumping together! You can thank me later.
How Do I Get My Bars to Stick Together?
The key to getting your bars to hold together is having the right ratio of sticky ingredients to cereal. Therefore, if they’re falling apart and dry, it’s likely because you have too much cereal. Try mixing in more peanut butter or maple syrup until they hold. Alternatively, if your bars are too sticky, just stir in a little more cereal!
More Snack Bar Recipes You’ll Love
If you’re looking for even more family-friendly snacking options, I’ve got you covered! After all, variety is the spice of life. While you’re in the kitchen, try out one or all of these recipes too:
- These Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bars come together with just 8 ingredients for a super easy vegan, gluten-free, no-bake recipe!
- Turn your favorite guilty pleasure into a healthy snack with these Cookie Dough Bars.
- Budget-friendly and simple to whip up, these 4-Ingredient Granola Bars are better than anything you’ll find in the store.
- Pure magic, these Banana Chocolate Oatmeal Bars are high protein, high fiber, and perfect to grab as you’re running out the door!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Cereal Bar Recipe
Made with 5 ingredients and ready in minutes, this rice cereal bar recipe is the BEST for packed lunches, road trip snacks, and more!
- 1/2 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup vegan chocolate
- 3-4 tbsp vegan butter
In a large microwave safe bowl, heat the peanut butter and maple syrup in 30 second increments until the peanut butter and maple syrup can be whisked together easily.
Pour in the rice cereal and stir.
Press the mixture in a parchment lined dish, preferably one that is 8×8.
Place the dish in your fridge to start cooling while you melt the chocolate.
To melt the chocolate, in a small microwave safe dish, melt the chocolate and vegan butter in 30 second increments, making sure to stir after every 30 seconds.
Pour the melted chocolate over the cooling cereal bars.
Let the bars cool completely in your fridge – this can take up to two hours.
Once the chocolate has set, slice and enjoy!
To store, place the bars in an air tight container and leave them in a cool area for up to 3 days.