I made you wait for this recipe for far too long because 1) I’m a recovering perfectionist and 2) I’m not recovering.
I’m pretty sure I’ve made this recipe at least 9 times because I wanted it to be absolutely perfect! I tried a combination of almond flour with coconut flour, almond flour without coconut flour, all-purpose flour, chickpea flour, two scoops of collagen vs one scoop… Honestly- I’ve tried them all! The conclusion? Not one is better than the other.
They’re all freaking delicious!
Also- all the testing was great for my taste buds but not so much for my chocolate collagen stash. I’m pretty sure Further Food received a purchase for their Chocolate Collagen Peptides with reishi mushrooms purely from all my mug cake testing.
NO regrets though because this recipe is SO good! (and because I used my code to save myself some cash! code: ahealthyharmony)
I’m going to give you the recipe that resembles a lava cake the most – the oven version – but the good news is that you can cook it in the microwave too! All you have to do is cook the mug cake on 50% power for 1 minute before cooking it again on full power for an additional 45-60 seconds.
In regards to the flour situation- use what you like most! My personal favorite was the all-purpose flour or the chickpea flour version. I felt like the almond flour was a bit too oily for my taste. My two cents would be to leave out the coconut oil if you’re going that route!
Lastly- let’s talk pb because if we’re honest, it’s the most important part of the how lava cake. Now, I am a HUGE fan of pb so I have approximately 235252836762 jars in my pantry (slight exaggeration… slight) and the pb that worked the best was the oily kind. Don’t use the bottom of the jar mmk? It will turn out clumpy and gross. My favorite nut butter company is Georgia Grinders because their products are so smooth and their flavor profile CANNOT be beat! I actually like them so much that I asked for a discount code for you (AND ME!). I don’t get a kickback- I just kickback pb by the the spoonful after using my own code. You should absolutely do the same…. JUST SAYIN’ (code: ahealthyharmony)
Okay beautiful babes- go forth… make yourself a pb filled mug cake! You deserve a little sweetness in your life.
IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE THIS OR ONE OF MY MANY OTHER RECIPES, PLEASE DO SHARE YOUR CREATION ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #AHEALTHYHARMONY @AHEALTHYHARMONY. YOUR SUPPORT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME AND I’D LOVE TO SHOW YOU MINE!
PB Molten Lava Mug Cake
- 5 tbsp flour *see above for notes!
- 1 tbsp coconut flour *only use if using almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil *melted – see above notes!
- 3-4 tbsp almond milk
- 1 serving Further Food Chocolate Collagen Peptides code: ahealthyharmony
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder *or just another scoop of chocolate collagen
- 1/2-1 tbsp Coconut Sugar use more for a sweeter mug cake!
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp peanut butter *or any nut butter
- 1 tbsp dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a small ramekin (6oz max) with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together all the ingredients expect for the peanut butter and chocolate chips.
- Add 1/3 of the batter into the bottom of your greased ramekin.
- Drop the dollop of peanut butter in the center of the batter before pouring the remainder of the batter over top.
- Sprinkle on the mini chocolate chips.
- Bake the mug cake for 15-17 minutes. Let cook for 10 minutes before eating!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Remember peeps- I’m real AF and would only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting me in my realness- you make my LIFE!