This Mini Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich recipe is what summer dreams are made of. Vegan cookie batter is stuffed full of mini chocolate chips, baked to golden perfection, and layered with creamy vanilla ice cream for the best ice cream sandwich cookie of your life. Keep the batter on hand for quick desserts when the craving strikes!
Why You’ll Love this Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
Listen, I’m not trying to insult your intelligence. I’m pretty sure I don’t have to tell you that you’re going to love this ice cream cookie sandwich recipe. I mean, cookies, chocolate chips, and ice cream…is there a better combination? The answer is obviously no, and I’m drooling just thinking about this treat. However, before we dig into the recipe, I thought it was important to highlight just a few of the reasons why this ice cream cookie sandwich is literally life-changing. For instance, it’s:
- Completely dairy-free and vegan.
- Mini and perfect for snacking… which means you can eat more than one. You’re welcome.
- So easy to make.
- Great to keep on hand.
- And customizable to satisfy all your tastebuds!
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Ingredients
Of course, cookie ice cream sandwiches can be found in the freezer section at your grocery store. Or, heck, you could even buy pre-made cookies and a tub of ice cream. However, nothing beats the taste of a good homemade cookie, especially when it’s sandwiched with ice cream! So, here’s everything you’ll need:
Butter – It’s crucial to add fat to any cookie dough you’re making to help enhance the flavor and create a richer flavor. To keep this recipe vegan, I use vegan butter, but whatever you have on hand will work.
Coconut Sugar – A more natural sweetener, coconut sugar has more nutrients and a lower glycemic index than regular granulated sugar for an ice cream cookie sandwich you can enjoy without risking a sugar crash later.
Vanilla Extract – Trust me, your cookies won’t taste nearly as good without this.
Milk – Any plant-based milk you have on hand is fine!
Almond Flour – This is my favorite gluten-free flour alternative. It’s also a great way to add healthy fats and a boost of fiber to your baked goods! For a budget-friendly option, you can easily create your own by pulsing whole almonds in a food processor or high-speed blender.
Vanilla Pea Protein – You already know I used Nuzest protein (code: thekellykathleen to save some moolah), but any protein powder you like best will do. Just note that I can’t guarantee the taste and texture of your cookie sandwich will be the same.
Baking Soda – A crucial component in any baked good, using super fresh baking soda will help create extra fluffy cookies.
Salt – This helps enhance the natural flavors of the rest of the ingredients.
Chocolate Chips – I used dairy-free mini chocolate chips and prefer dark chocolate varieties, but you do you. Milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, and even white chocolate would work, too!
Ice Cream – You can’t have a vegan mini chocolate chip ice cream cookie sandwich without a big ole scoop of plant-based vanilla ice cream!
How to Make the Best Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich
The key to creating the best taste and texture is to prepare ahead of time. This allows your ice cream cookie sandwiches enough time to chill and set. Take a look below for a brief overview of the instructions, and scroll down to the bottom for the full details!
For the Cookies
- Combine the butter and sugar.
- Add in the vanilla extract and milk, and beat until smooth.
- Pour in the remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips and ice cream, and combine until a smooth batter is formed.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use an ice cream scoop to form 12 equal-size mounds of dough, and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Chill in the freezer, and, in the meantime, preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 12 minutes, and cool for 2 hours. Otherwise, they’ll melt your ice cream!
Forming Your Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
- Scoop one mound of ice cream onto a cookie.
- Layer with a second cookie to form a sandwich, and repeat until all of the cookies have been used.
- Place them in the freezer to set, and enjoy!
Make Ahead and Storage Options
Honestly, these are gone immediately in my house. However, if you have more self-control (can’t relate) there are several options to make them ahead of time.
First, prepare the dough in advance, and store it in your fridge for up to 3 days or freezer for up to 2 months. Then, portion it out, and form your ice cream cookie sandwich as usual.
Second, bake the cookies in advance, and store them at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, in the fridge for 2 months, or in the freezer for up to 12 months. Then, when you’re ready, layer ice cream in between two of them, and enjoy!
Third, prepare the ice cream cookie sandwiches completely, and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. For the best results, I recommend wrapping each sandwich in plastic wrap to keep them from sticking together.
Personally, I love the classic combination of chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream. However, if you want to switch it up and get creative, the variations are endless! Some of my favorite options include:
- Using different ice creams like chocolate or strawberry
- Using different cookies such as vegan snickerdoodle cookies, apple pie sugar cookies, or cookies and cream cookies
- Rolling the sandwiches in sprinkles, chocolate chips, or chopped nuts
- Drizzling chocolate, caramel, or peanut butter on top
More Desserts You’ll Love
Looking for more sweet treats? I’ve got you covered with these incredible recipes!
- Decadent and sweet, this High Protein Golden Oreo Bar recipe is a simple no-bake dessert made with just 6 ingredients.
- Chocolatey, crunchy, no-bake, and refined-sugar free, these Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bars check all the boxes when it comes to a perfect dessert.
- Made with rich chocolate and a gooey center, this Vegan Skillet Brownie Sundae is a decadent dessert that will have all your guests begging for more!
- Made with simple ingredients, these Oreo Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies are gluten-free and high in protein to satisfy your sweet tooth without making you crash later in the day.
Mini Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 50 g vanilla pea protein – alternatively try 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup plant-based vanilla ice cream
- Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, combine butter and coconut sugar for approximately 30-45 seconds or until the sugar is no longer visible.
- Next, add in the vanilla extract and milk before turning on your mixer to combine the liquid ingredients.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips and vanilla ice cream. Turn your mixture on for just enough time to combine the ingredients!
- Finally, pour in your chocolate chips. Using a spatula, stir in the chips for about 15 seconds.until lightly combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out 12 evenly sized mounds of dough onto your baking sheet. Use an ice cream scoop to make this easier.
- Place the baking sheet in your refrigerator for 30-60 minutes for the cookies to chill – don’t skip this step!
- While the cookies are chilling, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the cookies have chilled, place them in your oven to bake for 12 minutes.
- Let the cookies continue to cook/cool on the baking sheet for at least two hours. I let my sit out for about 90 minutes and they were still warm enough to melt the ice cream – whoops!
- Once the cookies are completely cool, scoop a mound of softened ice cream (2ish tbsp) between two cookies and place them in your freezer for about 20 minutes to set.
- Enjoy as you please!