These Lemon Drop Cookies are perfect for all your dietary needs! Low-fat, low-sugar, low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, and high in protein, they’re super versatile and incredibly tasty. Top them with a sweet glaze for an irresistible treat you’ll love!
What are Drop Cookies?
Unlike traditional cookie recipes that are made by scooping and forming balls of dough, drop cookies are made by literally dropping spoonfuls of dough onto a prepared baking sheet. Typically, drop cookies have a slightly more cake-like texture than traditional cookies but are every bit as tasty, if not more so!
Why You’ll Love These Lemon Drop Cookies
As if their delicious lemon flavor isn’t enough, there are endless reasons why you’re going to love this lemon drop cookie recipe! In fact, I can pretty much guarantee you’re going to enjoy them so much they’ll become a staple in your kitchen.
They’re Quick. From start to finish, these lemon drop cookies are ready in less than 20 minutes!
They’re Satisfying. Thanks to the addition of protein powder, these cookies are the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth while also staying full and satisfied thanks to the added nutrition.
They’re Super Versatile. Made with extra simple ingredients, these cookies are suitable for pretty much every diet type. For instance, they’re gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, high-protein, low-fat, and can easily be made without the use of refined sugars!
They’re Tasty AF. Of course, all these reasons are great, but the real reason we all want cookies is for their taste. Am I right? So, obviously this recipe is tasty af! Afterall, I wouldn’t let you guys down. Perfectly sweet with just a hint of tartness, they’re everything you never knew you needed in your life and more!
Ingredients You’ll Need
I did my best to keep this lemon drop cookie recipe as simple as possible. As a result, you should have quite a few of the ingredients you’ll need in your kitchen already and can easily find those you don’t have in your local grocery stores! Take a look below to gather your grocery list.
For the Cookies
- Flaxseed – When combined with water, flaxseeds are used to replace the eggs in this recipe and add healthy fats and fiber to help keep you full!
- Applesauce – Did you know that applesauce can be used to replace fats in recipes? It’s true! It helps create a similar taste and texture and even helps sweeten these cookies. Just be sure to use unsweetened applesauce made without any added sugar!
- Cashew Butter – Technically any nut or seed butter you prefer can be used in this recipe, but I prefer cashew butter due to its neutral flavor and smooth texture. For the best results, I recommend using Georgia Grinders (code: kellyk), but you do you!
- Sugar – Granulated sugar works best for these cookies. I used Lakanto monk fruit sugar, but any you have on hand is fine!
- Protein – Of course, I used my fav Nuzest protein! Feel free to use code: thekellykathleen to do the same and save a few bucks. I used Probiotic Vanilla flavor to help add a hint of sweetness without overpowering the tart lemon, and it was a good move. If you prefer, you can use any other protein you like. However, I strongly recommend you stick with a neutral flavor!
- Chickpea Flour – To help keep these lemon drop cookies gluten-free, I used chickpea flour, but oat flour works, too.
- Lemon – For the best lemon flavor, you’ll want to use both lemon juice and lemon zest. So, be sure to use real lemons and not the bottled juice version.
- Baking Essentials – To help create delicious and fluffy lemon drop cookies, you’ll also need baking essentials including vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
For the Glaze
For this recipe, I made a homemade lemon glaze and highly recommend you do the same! Seriously, it adds the perfect finishing touch to these cookies. Plus, all you’ll need is some powdered sugar, cashew (or non-dairy) milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest!
How to Make Lemon Drop Cookies
You’re not going to believe how quick and easy it is to make these lemon drop cookies. I’ll prove it with the steps below!
- Preheat. To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Create a Flax Egg. Combine the flaxseed and water in a small bowl, and let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Whisk. After 5 minutes have passed, add the wet ingredients and sugar to a mixing bowl, and whisk the ingredients together until they are well-combined.
- Mix. Then, add the remaining ingredients to a bowl, and mix them together until they are smooth. Be careful not to overmix your dough!
- Scoop. Using an ice cream scoop (or large spoon), scoop 9-10 mounds of cookie dough, and drop them on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake. Place the cookies in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms just begin to brown.
- Glaze. While the cookies are baking, whisk the ingredients for the glaze in a small bowl until they are smooth. Once the cookies have baked and fully cooled, dunk, dip, or drizzle the glaze on top, and enjoy!
Honestly, when topped with sweet glaze, these lemon drop cookies are pure perfection in my opinion. However, if you want to get creative and add a little extra flavor, try adding some extra toppings such as:
- Lemon Zest
- Coconut Flakes
- Powdered Sugar
- White Chocolate Chips
Unlike other cookies such as PB Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies that are best eaten warm, lemon drop cookies taste best chilled! Trust me, it really brings out the lemon flavor. For the best results, store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or, pop them in an airtight container, and store them in the freezer for up to 2-3 months!
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- White Chocolate Pistachio Cookie
- Birthday Cake Cookies
- Flourless Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Vegan Iced Oatmeal Cookies
That’s it, you guys! Seriously, run, don’t walk to the kitchen to make this recipe. You won’t regret it! If you do, I would love it if you let me know whatcha think in the comments below!
IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE THIS OR ONE OF MY MANY OTHER RECIPES, PLEASE DO SHARE YOUR CREATION ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #thekellykathleen @thekellykathleen . YOUR SUPPORT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME AND I’D LOVE TO SHOW YOU MINE!
Lemon Drop Cookies
hese Lemon Drop Cookies are perfect for all your dietary needs! Low-fat, low-sugar, low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, and high in protein, they’re super versatile and incredibly tasty. Top them with a sweet glaze for an irresistible treat you’ll love!
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar I used lakanto monk fruit
- 1/2 cup (50g) Probiotic Vanilla protein by Nuzest *look above for discount code!
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour /alternatively, use oat flour
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Lemon Sugar Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cashew milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2-1 tsp lemon zest
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Add the ground flaxseed and water into your mixing bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Once the ground flaxseed and water mixture has thickened, add the rest of the wet ingredients and sugar of choice. Whisk until well combined.
Add in the remainder of the cookie ingredients and whisk until just combined.
Using an ice cream scoop, scoop 9-10 mounds of cookie dough on your lined baking sheet. Bake the mounds for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms have started to brown.
While the cookies are cooling, make the glaze by whisking all the ingredients together. Make sure the cookies are completely cooled before spooning the glaze over-top.
These cookies taste best when eaten chilled! Keep them in the fridge and enjoy them within 5 days.