These Flourless Lemon Crinkle Cookies are gluten-free, vegan, and low-sugar for a soft cookie recipe bursting with lemon flavor you’ll love!
You guys, my love for lemon is so strong. So strong, in fact, I’ve made a wide variety of lemon recipes including Lemon Poppyseed Scones, Low Fat Lemon Poppyseed Bread, and Lemon Drop Cookies! Seriously, they’re all incredible, and I couldn’t pick a favorite if I had to. Therefore, I was totally oblivious to the fact that some people are lemon haters. However, one day, I was blissfully responding to Instagram comments (Shameless plug: Go follow me here, and say hi! You won’t regret it.) when I came across a woman who said she can’t picture lemon being tasty in baked goods.
I’m sorry…WHAT? I’m pretty sure I died. Of course, I’m not judging but am kind of judging. I mean, lemon? Not being good in baked treats? That opinion is straight up blasphemy! Of course, I could just ignore it and continue on with my day, but then I wouldn’t be me, would I? Oh no, instead, I’m now on a personal mission to convince that woman and all other lemon haters that they have been wrong their entire lives. What better way to begin that adventure than with these Flourless Lemon Crinkle Cookies? After all, who doesn’t love a good cookie! No matter which team you’re on, you definitely don’t want to miss out on these lemon cookies.
Why You’ll Love these Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Okay, so you already know I love these cookies. Like, I’m obsessed. However, in case you’re not convinced, I’m sharing all the reasons why you are going to love them, too!
- Taste – Light, refreshing, and sweet, these lemon cookies will leave you wanting more with every bite.
- Texture – Thick and fluffy, these cookies have a slightly denser texture than what you might expect, making them a bit more cakey and totally irresistible.
- Ease – From start to finish, these lemon crinkle cookies are ready in less than 30 minutes and made with practically one bowl! Seriously, I love that for us.
- Ingredients – Unlike store bought cookies or other recipes I’ve seen, these lemon cookies are gluten-free, high-protein, low-sugar, adn full of fiber to keep you full!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Of course, these cookies call for typical baking ingredients such as sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. However, what makes them truly unique is the inclusion of chickpeas, cashew butter, and protein powder which allow them to be gluten-free and high-protein without sacrificing taste or texture!
*Of course, I use Nuzest protein and Georgia Grinders cashew butter. I would never pressure you to do the same (even though they’re the best). However, if you want to give them a try, feel free to use the Nuzest code: thekellykathleen and Georgia Grinders code: kellyk to save a few bucks.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Cookies
I highly doubt you’ve ever encountered an easier cookie recipe before! Take a look below to see how to make this recipe in 20 minutes.
- Preheat. To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine. Using a food processor, combine all of the cookie ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide. Once combined, divide the batter into 8 balls. Roll each ball between your hands, and slightly flatten them between your palms before placing them on a cookie sheet.
- Sift. Next, sift the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of protein powder into a medium-sized bowl.
- Dunk. Dunk each cookie into the sugar and protein mixture, using your hands to make sure they are completely coated. Once all 8 of the cookies are completely covered, coat them in the sugar mixture again to make sure it truly sticks!
- Bake. Pop the cookies in the oven for 15-17 minutes.
- Cool. Once fully baked, let your cookies cool completely before removing them from the baking sheet.
Honestly, I love the simplicity of these lemon cookies. However, if you want to add a bit more texture and flavor, try including fun add-ins such as white chocolate chips, chopped nuts, coconut flakes, or sprinkles!
For the best results, store leftover lemon crinkle cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Make Ahead: To prepare these cookies ahead of time, combine the dough, and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days before baking. Or, keep the mixed dough in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Why didn’t my lemon cookie crinkle?
If your cookies didn’t crinkle, it’s likely because the dough was too warm. Be sure to work quickly when rolling out your cookies! So, if you’re making more than 1 batch at a time, be sure to refrigerate the dough in between batches. Also, make sure to double-coat your cookies in the sugar mixture as the dough will absorb some of it, helping it crinkle.
Why won’t my cookies spread?
If your cookies don’t spread while baking, it’s likely because you used too much flour! To avoid this, make sure to measure carefully using the spoon and sweep method.
Why did my cookies spread too much?
If your cookies spread too much while baking, it’s likely because you used too much fat in the dough! Be sure to measure your nut butter carefully.
Why is my cookie dough sticky?
If your dough is too sticky, it’s likely one of two reasons. Either it is too warm or you have not used enough flour. To remedy the situation, try popping the dough in the fridge for up to 30 minutes. Then, if that doesn’t work add small amounts of flour (like 1 tablespoon max) at a time, until the dough is less sticky.
More Flourless Sweet Treats
- Flourless Apple Pie Sugar Cookies
- Chai Spiced Flourless Cookies
- Flourless Chocolate Mug Cake
- Flourless Blender Blondie
That’s it, you guys! Hopefully I’ve converted at least one of you into loving lemons. Of course, if you guys make these lemon crinkle cookies, I would love it if you let me know down in the comments below!
The key is to pair it with delicious things like sugar – for obvious reasons – and high quality ingredients. I like using chickpeas instead of flour because it give the BEST melt in your mouth texture. A clean protein and cashew butter is a must in these cookies as well. If you know, you know but if you don’t… I’m Nuzest and Georgia Grinders (code: kellyk) obsessed… you’ll get used to it, I promise.
Once those four things are added, it’s really all about crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s. A little bit of salt, lemon and a high quality vanilla extract will wrap it all up! The best part about these cookies is that they’re made in a food processor – practically a one bowl situation. We love that!
Dying to tell everyone you made this recipe and loved it?? Don’t forget to share a picture and tag @thekellykathleen so that I can profess my love to you and re-share it for all to see!
Flourless Lemon Crinkle Cookies
These zesty gluten-free, vegan and low sugar cookies are not only high in flavor but also a high protein snack!
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed really well and dried
- 1 cup cashew butter I prefer Georgia Grinders, *see above for discount
- 1/2 cup Probiotic Vanilla Protein I prefer Nuzest, *see above for discount
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar add more if you like a sweet cookie
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp organic powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Probiotic Vanilla Protein *alt swap for more sugar
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
In your food processor, combined all the ingredients until smooth. Divide the batter evenly into 8 balls and roll them around in your hands and flatten them out slightly before placing them on your cookie sheet.
Sift your powdered sugar and tbsp of protein into a medium sized bowl.
Dunk each cookie into the mixture, using your hands to gently coat the entire cookie. Repeat with all 8 cookies.
Once you've coated each cookie, coat them again! This will help the coating really stick.
Once coated for the second time, bake the cookies for 15-17 minutes.
Let them cool completely before removing from the baking sheet.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Remember peeps- I’m real AF and would only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting me in my realness- you make my LIFE!