This Double Chocolate Banana Bread is made with simple, plant-based ingredients for a vegan recipe perfect for breakfast, snacks, dessert, and more! Bake it ahead of time to enjoy all week long!
Who doesn’t love a good bread recipe? Whether it’s Cinnamon Sugar Zucchini Bread, Cinnamon Roll Bread, or Chai Spiced Pumpkin Bread, there seems to be a recipe for every occasion. In my experience, they always bring people together, too. I mean, there’s just something so comforting about a warm loaf, isn’t there? I especially love the smell it brings to my kitchen, too. Heck, I’m drooling just thinking about it! However, there has been a distinct lack of bread in my life recently. So, I decided that had to change ASAP.
However, I didn’t want to make just any bread recipe, though. Instead, I decided to revamp classic banana bread and turned my original recipe into this Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Bread! It’s rich, chocolatey, fudgy, and so delicious. Even better, it’s made with fresh fruit and healthy fats to keep you full. That means it’s healthy, right? In all honesty, the nutritional value of this recipe might be questionable, but one thing is certain! This chocolate banana bread is irresistible, and you need it in your life. So, keep reading to find everything you’ll need to know to make your dreams a reality!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Given the fact that this double chocolate banana bread is vegan, the ingredient list most likely looks different from other banana bread recipes you’re used to making. Find everything you’ll need below, and be sure to double-check your pantry!
- Flaxseed – When combined with water, flaxseeds create what is known as a flax egg and can be used to replace eggs as a binder in this recipe and many others.
- Bananas – The spottier your bananas are, the sweeter your banana bread will be!
- Milk – I used a plant-based milk, but soy or dairy milk work just as well, too.
- Cashew Butter – Technically, you could use any other nut or seed butter you prefer. However, in my opinion, cashew butter works best because it has a smooth texture and neutral flavor that doesn’t overwhelm the rest of the ingredients. If you’d like to give it a try, feel free to use code: kellyk for a discount on Georgia Grinders cashew butter! It’s by far my fav.
- Maple Syrup – Maple syrup adds a hint of sweetness to this chocolate banana bread while also holding the rest of the ingredients together.
- Oat Flour – Oat flour is a great gluten-free flour alternative and can easily be made on your own by grinding whole oats in a food processor or blender.
- Cacao Powder – Similar to cocoa powder, cacao powder is the raw form of cocoa and is full of antioxidants to add both nutrients and a rich, chocolatey flavor to your banana bread!
- Chocolate Chips – I used dairy-free chocolate chips, but feel free to use any kind you like best. You could even try out different flavors such as dark chocolate, semi-sweet, or even white chocolate chips.
- Baking Essentials – To finish your chocolate banana bread, you’ll also need vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt.
How to Make the Best Double Chocolate Banana Bread
As per usual, I did my best to keep this chocolate banana bread recipe as easy as possible. Luckily, I was successful, and this recipe comes together in roughly an hour with just a few simple steps listed below!
- Preheat. To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease an 8×4 loaf tin before setting it aside.
- Make the Flax Egg. Next, use a fork to whisk and combine 2 tablespoons of flaxseed with 5 tablespoons of water in a large bowl.
- Mash. With the same fork, mash the bananas in the same bowl as the flax and water mixture.
- Combine. Once the banana has been completely mashed and is smooth, add the rest of the wet ingredients to the same bowl, and mix to combine.
- Fold. Add the remaining ingredients to the mixture, and use a wooden spoon or spatula to gently incorporate them into the batter until they are just-combined. Be careful not to overmix your batter!
- Bake. Once smooth, pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin, and let it bake for 60-65 minutes.
Honestly, this chocolate banana bread is full of flavor as it is. However, if you want to add a bit more taste and texture, try incorporating some fun add-ins! Some of my favorites include: chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans, coconut flakes, or even peanut butter chips. If you want to get really crazy, you could even add a frosting on top, too. You do you, though!
How to Store
I highly recommend serving this double chocolate banana bread right away, especially when it’s still warm from the oven. However, if you prefer to wait or have leftovers, it stores well, too!
Room Temperature: Keep your chocolate banana bread covered on the counter for up to 2 days.
Fridge: Add your leftovers to an airtight container, and store them in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Freezer: For long-lasting chocolate banana bread, place the loaf or individual slices in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Can I Make Double Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins Instead?
Sure! In all honesty, I haven’t tried to turn this recipe into muffins myself, but it should work just fine! To do so, simply line or grease a muffin tip, and distribute the batter equally. Then, place it in the oven as usual. Just be sure to keep an eye on your puffins, because it’s likely that the cooking time will vary based on how big your muffins are, the oven you use, the altitude at which you bake, and more.
More Banana Bread-Inspired Recipes
- Classic Vegan Banana Bread
- “Banana Bread” Baked Oats
- Honey Buckwheat Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Cup Banana Bread Bars
Do you guys love banana bread, too? It’s one of my all-time favorite recipes, and I know this double chocolate banana bread is going to be a staple in my kitchen! If you try it, I’d love it if you let me know in the comments below!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 5 tbsp water
- 3 medium bananas super spotty
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk soy works best
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8×4 loaf tin and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water.
- Using a fork, mash the bananas in the same bowl as the ground flaxseed and water.
- Incorporate the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf and bake for 60-65 minutes.
- Let the bread cool completely and enjoy!