Made with just 5 ingredients, these Crunchy Almond Chocolate Protein Bites are gluten-free, sugar-free, and Vegan treats that are ready in minutes. Serve them for breakfast, pack them in lunch boxes, and more!
A Classic Flavor Combination
There’s just something so satisfying about using a classic flavor combination to make a new recipe. For example, creations like Raspberry Crumble Bars, Strawberries N Cream Scones, and my PB Chocolate Puffed Quinoa Cups always hit the spot with a touch of nostalgia. While I love coming up with fun and new flavor combinations, I sometimes find myself in need of something a little more familiar. When it comes to flavor combinations, in my opinion, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Therefore, in a temporary moment of recipe block (it’s like writer’s block but with recipes), I decided to go back to the classic pairing of chocolate and almonds. So, let me introduce you to these Crunchy Almond Chocolate Protein Bites! They’re small, simple, and full of protein for the best no-bake recipe you’ll ever find. I’m not exaggerating.
Once you see how easy this protein bites recipe is to make, you’re not going to believe how good it tastes! Simple, easy, and delicious is what I’m all about these days. Plus, you don’t have to spend any time waiting for the oven to heat or things to bake. Basically, what I’m saying is this recipe is perfect for those times when you need some chocolate but want to be a little more sophisticated than just shoving a chocolate bar in your face.
Keep reading to get started!
The Shortest Ingredient List Ever
These no-bake protein bites are made with just 5 healthy, Vegan ingredients. All you’ll need is:
- Almond Butter – Almond butter acts as the “glue” that holds these protein bites together, but any nut or seed butter you prefer would do the trick.
- Almond Flour – Personally, I would stick to almond flour for this recipe as it has the best texture. However, you could use coconut flour in its place. If you choose to do so, start with 2 tablespoons as coconut flour absorbs more liquid than almond flour. Then, add more as needed.
- Protein Powder – Obviously, I used the Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein from Nuzest (code: thekellykathleen), but any Vegan protein powder you like best would work. I recommend sticking with a vanilla or chocolate flavor, but you do you. Just be sure not to use a collagen protein powder.
- Chocolate – If you’re not a huge chocolate fan (can’t relate), you can omit it from the ingredient list. However, if you are a chocolate lover, feel free to use your favorite variety. White chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, it all works!
- Almonds – For the best texture, I suggest using finely chopped almonds. Big pieces will make it difficult to form the protein bites. Also, if you prefer, you can swap the almonds out for any other nut you prefer. Or, use mini chocolate chips instead to really drive the chocolate flavor home while maintaining a similar texture obtained with the almonds.
Fun Add-Ins & Options
In my opinion, the simplicity of this protein bites recipe is part of its beauty. However, you can always add more items to the ingredient list! If you need some inspiration, a few of my favorite add-ins are listed below.
- Raisins – For a hint of sweetness, add a few raisins to your bites. The key is to make sure they are chopped small enough to roll into the bites.
- Peanut Butter Chips – If you want to play on the classic peanut butter and chocolate combination, use a few peanut butter chips!
- Pretzel Pieces – Crushed up pretzels are a fun way to add a bit of texture to this recipe.
- Coconut Flakes – Coconut flakes can either be added into the “batter” for these bites or sprinkled on the outside before the chocolate dries.
- Sprinkles – Roll the bites in colorful sprinkles to add a bit of color!
How to Make No-Bake Protein Bites
Given that there is no baking involved with these protein bites, the process to make them is super simple.
All you have to do is stir together the almond butter, almond flour, and protein powder. Then, using your hands, divide the mixture into 6 or 12 bites, and roll them into balls.
Place the balls in the fridge, adn melt the chocolate by placing it in a small bowl in the microwave for 1-minute intervals until melted. If you feel like the chocolate is too thick once fully melted, add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to thin it out a bit.
Add the chopped almonds into the melted chocolate making sure they are evenly distributed, and use your hands to coat the balls in the melted chocolate. Do not use a utensil! Your bites will fall apart if you do.
Once coated, place the protein bites on parchment paper, and keep them in the fridge until they are set and the chocolate has hardened.
Not Into Bites? Stick to Bars
If bites aren’t your thing, this recipe can easily be made into bars! Simply press the almond butter, almond flour, and protein powder mixture into a parchment lined bread pan, and pop it into the refrigerator while you make the melted chocolate mixture. Then, pour the chocolate over the mixture in the bread pan, and place it in the fridge until the ingredients set and the chocolate solidifies. This will take about an hour. Once fully set, cut the recipe into bars or squares!
How to Store Protein Bites
To store these bites, place them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Or, place them in the freezer for up to 1 month.
I promised this recipe was easy, didn’t I? If you choose to make it, the only regret you’ll have is not making more! In the meantime, let me know what your favorite flavor combinations are in the comments below!
Even more healthy protein bites recipes
- 4-Ingredient Strawberry Cashew Protein Bites
- 3-Ingredient High Protein Frozen Yogurt Bites
- Cherry Coconut Bliss Bites
- White Chocolate Granola Bliss Bites
Dying to tell everyone you made this recipe and loved it?? Don’t forget to share a picture and tag @thekellykathleen so that I can profess my love to you and re-share it for all to see!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1(25g) serving Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein by Nuzest
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate for melting
- pinch of sea salt optional but recommended
Lay a piece of parchment paper on a plate and set it aside.
In a large bowl, stir together the almond butter, almond flour and protein powder.
Once combined, use your hands to divide the mixture into 6 large or 12 small equal bites. Roll the bites in your hands to create a ball form.
Place the balls in your fridge while you melt the chocolate.
To melt the chocolate, place your chocolate in a small bowl and cook on high for 1 minute. Stir and add an optional 1 tsp of coconut oil if your chocolate seems too thick.
Coat the balls in the melted chocolate until they’re completely coated – you can do this by placing the balls into the chocolate, spooning the chocolate over the balls and using a fork to lightly tap off the excess.
Place them on your parchment lined paper and place the plate in your fridge until set.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Remember peeps- I’m real AF and would only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting me in my realness- you make my LIFE!