These Baked Vegan Chai Maple Donuts are made with simple, plant-based ingredients, baked in the oven, and topped with a maple glaze for a decadent breakfast or sweet treat perfect for every occasion! Prepare them ahead of time, or bake them fresh in minutes!
Chai These Maple Donuts!
It’s no secret that I’ve been a longtime chai lover, and with recipes like Spiced Chai Coffee Cake, White Chocolate Chai Protein Bites, Chai Spiced Flourless Cookies, can you even blame me? However, while I consume chai in various forms all year long, I know many people only enjoy this incredible flavor during the cooler months. Therefore, every year, I patiently wait for fall to roll around so I can truly shine the light on such an underrated ingredient. Well, friends, the weather has officially begun to cool, and that means the time for all things chai has come!
So, without further ado, let me introduce you to my new favorite recipe Vegan Chai Maple Donuts! Light, fluffy, baked in the oven, and made with plant-based, gluten-free ingredients, these maple donuts are everything you never knew you needed and so much more! They’re the perfect balance of sweet with a hint of chai spice and ready in minutes. Plus, they’re made with simple ingredients and pantry staples you probably already have waiting for you in your kitchen. I promise you won’t regret making them!
Ingredients for Baked Vegan Chai Maple Donuts
Containing a super short ingredient list, I couldn’t have made these baked donuts any simpler if I tried! Take a look below to find everything you’ll need!
For the Maple Donuts
- Flax Egg – To create a flax egg, combine 1 Tablespoon of flaxseed and 3 Tablespoons of water, and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes or so to thicken. Or, if you aren’t following a vegan diet, you can use a whole egg instead.
- Milk – For these donuts, I used dairy-free milk but any milk you prefer will work.
- Maple Syrup – Maple syrup adds a touch of flavor and sweetness to these donuts! Technically, honey or sugar can be used as well, but your donuts won’t have much maple flavor.
- Yogurt – Use a regular or plant-based yogurt for these maple donuts. Just make sure it is thick!
- Oat Flour – Oat flour is a great budget-friendly flour alternative that is naturally gluten-free and can be made on your own by grinding whole grain oats to a flour-like consistency in a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Chai Spice – To save some time, I just use a pre-made chai spice blend. However, you could make your own like this recipe. Or, use cinnamon instead!
- Kitchen Staples – To finish these maple donuts, you’ll also need coconut oil, baking powder, and salt.
For the Glaze
To create a maple glaze, I combined powdered sugar and maple syrup to create a slightly sticky, sweet topping that enhances the natural maple flavors of these donuts!
How to Make Baked Donuts
These chai maple donuts are so simple to make, you’re going to think I forgot a step. All you have to do is bake them! No, really! That’s it. To bake, follow the instructions below.
- Preheat. To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- Combine. Using a large mixing bowl or high-speed blender, combine all of the ingredients until they are well-mixed and smooth.
- Pipe the batter evenly into each donut mold, and place them in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Cool. Let the donuts cool in the baking pan for about 20 minutes before inverting them onto a cooling rack.
- Make the Glaze. While the donuts are cooling, prepare the glaze by adding the ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl, and warm them for about 40 seconds. Then, whisk them together until smooth.
- Top. Once cooled, top the maple donuts with the glaze, and enjoy!
I highly recommend making the maple glaze. However, if you want to opt for a store-bought topping option, try using cream cheese frosting, maple-flavored frosting, or a nut butter instead!
Then, top your Vegan Chai Maple Donuts with bacon, sprinkles, powdered sugar, fruit, and more if desired.
Can I Make this Recipe in the Air Fryer?
Yes! This recipe will work just as well in the air fryer. However, it will need to be done in smaller batches. So, I recommend either reducing the recipe or baking your donuts in batches. Also, be sure to keep an eye on them as the baking time might change depending on the size of your air fryer.
How to Store Vegan Chai Maple Donuts
For the best results, serve these maple donuts fresh out of the oven! Or, store them for later using the methods below.
Counter: Keep your doughnuts in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days.
Refrigerator: For slightly longer-lasting donuts, place them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezer: For long-lasting donut recipes, place them in the freezer for 2-3 months!
How to Freeze Donuts
- Place the donuts in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with wax paper, and place them in the freezer for 3-5 hours.
- Transfer them into a freezer-friendly sealable bag, and squeeze out any excess air.
- Place the bag in the freezer.
More Donut Recipes You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake Donuts
- Vegan Coconut Maple Donuts
- Maple Pumpkin Donuts
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Maple Donuts
I can’t even tell you guys how many of these donuts I’ve eaten, but I can tell you I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon! They’re just that good! However, I would love to know if you have any favorite donuts or seasonal flavors you love. Let me know in the comments below!
Vegan Chai Maple Donuts
These Baked Vegan Chai Maple Donuts are made with simple, plant-based ingredients, baked in the oven, and topped with a maple glaze for a decadent breakfast or sweet treat perfect for every occasion! Prepare them ahead of time, o r bake them fresh in minutes!
- 1 flax egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup thick yogurt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp chai spice alternatively make it yourself or use cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a donut pan liberally with coconut oil (or any neutral flavored oil) and set it aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined.
Pipe the batter into your prepared baking molds (you can do this with a ziplock bag!). Lightly tap the pan on your counter to settle the batter.
Bake the donuts in your prepared oven for about 12 minutes or until the donuts are done.
Let the donuts cool completely before glazing – to make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and maple syrup.