These Air Fryer Apple Fritters are made with simple plant-based ingredients for a better-for-you treat perfect for fall! Serve them warm, and enjoy.
Falling for Vegan Apple Fritters
Does anything say fall quite like the tantalizing flavors of warm apples? Whether you’re making Vegan Apple Oatmeal Cookies, Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal, or Apple Pecan Cinnamon Rolls, this time of year just demands baked goods. Am I wrong? Personally, I’m a huge fan of all the fall flavors. However, once in a while a craving hits me, and boy did it hit hard when I remembered apple fritters! Did you grow up eating them, too? Deep-fried and glistening with sugary glaze, they were definitely one of my childhood favorites. Now, I do my best to incorporate more nutritionally dense whole foods into my diet. That means that there’s not a ton of room for fried goods.
Of course, I haven’t sworn them off completely. I mean, can we all agree that there’s a time and place for all food types in our diets? However, I was pretty confident that I could take this classic recipe and lighten it up just a bit. So, I busted out my air fryer and got to work! Luckily, what resulted was even better than I could have expected. Perfectly soft and fluffy, these Air Fryer Apple Fritters were ready in literally 10 minutes and full of all the flavors we love.
Basically what I’m saying is you probably want to double the batch, because this recipe is crazy good! I’ll let you decide for yourself, though. Let’s get in the kitchen!
What are Apple Fritters?
Apple fritters are sweet treats traditionally made out of doughnut dough that is stuffed with chopped apples and deep-fried in oil. Most commonly, fritters are also glazed with a sugary icing. They’re totally delicious but clearly not the most nutritious.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Apple Fritters
The beautiful thing about apple fritters is how simple they are to make! To help you get started, I’ve listed the primary ingredients below. Then, all you’ll need are a few pantry staples, and you’ll be on your way to dessert!
- Flour – For the best results, use all-purpose flour. Or, to keep this recipe gluten-free, opt for a 1:1 gluten free flour alternative.
- Applesauce – Double check that your applesauce is unsweetened. Otherwise, your fritters will be way too sugary!
- Maple Syrup – Not only does maple syrup help to sweeten up this recipe, it also adds fall flavor!
- Oil – Technically, any oil you have on hand will work. However, I recommend coconut oil due to its high smoke point and neutral flavor.
- Apples – Fresh apples are the key to creating these fritters! For the sweetest flavor, opt for your favorite red apples. Or, if you want your fritters to be a bit more tart, use green apples instead.
What are the Best Apples to Use?
Any eating apples you like best can be used for these baked apple fritters. If you prefer tart flavors, try using typical Granny Smith apples. Or, for a sweet taste, try using red apples such as Gala or Honeycrisp.
In my opinion, these apple fritters are perfect as they are. However, feel free to make them your own by using different ingredient variations and alternatives! A few of my favorites include:
Spices – For a more intense apple pie-like flavor, try incorporating allspice as well.
Fruit – Pretty much any fruit you like can be used for this recipe! Try swapping out apples for pears, bananas, peaches, or berries.
Add Veggies – Try incorporating shredded zucchini into the batter for added nutrients and fiber. You won’t be able to taste it. I promise!
How to Make Vegan Apple Fritters
I wasn’t kidding when I said this recipe is ready in 10 minutes. From start to finish, it’ll probably take you longer to read the recipe than to make them! Here’s how:
- Preheat. To start, preheat your air fryer at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes.
- Combine. While the air fryer is preheating, combine the wet ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Fold. Once mixed, gently fold the dry batter into the wet batter, mixing carefully. You want the batter to be just-combined and not overmixed!
- Drop Batter. Once pre-heated, place a square of parchment paper in the air fryer, and spray it with cooking spray. Next, drop 3 similar sized spoonfuls of the batter onto the greased parchment paper.
- Air Fry. Bake the fritters at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until the tops are golden-brown.
*If you’re making more than one batch of fritters, place them on a cooling rack while you finishing baking to prevent them from becoming soggy!
- Glaze.While the apple fritters are baking, use a small bowl to whisk together the ingredients for the glaze. Then, drizzle it on top of the finished air fryer, and serve them warm!
Can I Bake these Vegan Apple Fritters?
Yes! If you don’t have an air fryer, follow the same steps to create the batter. Then, instead of lining the air fryer, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and let the fritters bake for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
How Long Do Air Fryer Apple Fritters Last?
For the best results, store any leftover fritters in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. However, keep in mind that the longer they’re stored, the more they will dry out! Therefore, to serve, I recommend reheating them in the microwave or air fryer to soften them back up a bit.
More Donut Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Confetti Mini Donuts
- Vegan Coconut Maple Donuts
- Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes
- Vegan Blender Chocolate Hazelnut Donuts
See? I told you these vegan apple fritters were easy to make! You’re not going to believe how good they taste. They brought me right back to my childhood. Do you have any recipes that do the same for you? Let me know in the comments below!
Dying to tell everyone you made this recipe and loved it?? Don’t forget to share a picture and tag @thekellykathleen so that I can profess my love to you and re-share it for all to see!
Vegan Baked Apple Fritters
Made with cinnamon, maple syrup, and chopped apples, these Vegan Baked Apple Fritters are the ultimate easy comfort food recipe!
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour or 1:1 Gluten-Free
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil, Melted
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 cup Chopped Apple, Pea Sized
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Plant-Based Milk
Preheat your air fryer at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
While the air fryer is preheating, combine the wet ingredients then fold in the dry.
Once preheated, CAREFULLY place a square of parchment paper in the air fryer and liberally spray it with coconut cooking spray.
Drop 3 similar sized spoonfuls of the batter onto the greased parchment paper.
Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
Whisk the glaze together and top while warm!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Remember peeps- I’m real AF and would only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting me in my realness- you make my LIFE!